Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hiroshima

Today was a whirlwind of tourist spots. We checked out Hiroshima castle, the Peace Memorial, the survivor cenotaph, and Miyajima island. And, due to navigational challenges, many of the surrounding areas.

Hiroshima castle was faux-feudal, Miyajima island was kitsch, and Peace park was poignant. We walked until our feet hurt, took pictures galore, and walked some more. I am happy I purchased such fine walking shoes.

Tomorrow we depart for Iwakuni to view the Kintai bridge and White Snake Park, then onwards to Kurashiki for a brief rest at the onsen.

I am also pleased to report that I found my whiskey in a can. I had to look no further than the vending machine in the hotel lobby. No word yet on how it tastes.

2 comments:

Gareth said...

"due to navigational challenges [we saw] many of the surrounding areas"

Excellent description. I expect about half your trip to be described that way, and the best part is I know it's on purpose. :)

"I am also pleased to report that I found my whiskey in a can. I had to look no further than the vending machine in the hotel lobby. No word yet on how it tastes."

I expect it to be in your next post, and you'd better not disappoint me!

Also, have you figured out the word for 'earthquake' yet? :p

Kim said...

Loving all these descriptions!

One of my Japanese students was highly, highly, highly impressed that you were able to understand the Japanese spoken in Osaka as she said it is one of the strongest dialects in Japan.

Michael told me today that the Kansai airport is built on a pile of garbage and it's sinking a little bit each year. Did you know that?