Monday, May 19, 2008

Book Heaven

After browsing through a bookstore here in Tokyo yesterday, I`m really wishing that I could read more Japanese. I knew that they had large bookstores here and lots of inexpensive books, but I still wasn`t prepared for the experience.

Back home, people think that places like Chapters are large and have good selection. Well imagine a Chapters that has 7 floors full of books. Yup, SEVEN floors of books! I know some of you will already be drooling at the thought of so many books, but wait, I haven`t finished yet. After perusing several floors (because the lack of reading ability isn`t enough to deter Lance and I from browsing and buying - we`ll need practice material for when we do start reading the language afterall) and not finding quite what we were looking for, Lance bravely approached a sales associate to ask where the Manga (comics) were. He handed us a little map and gave us some instructions. Apparently, there`s too much Manga to be kept in this one location so we had to go across the street to their other building! Yup, 7 floor plus another building that`s 3 floors of just CDs, DVDs, and Manga! And, according to the little map, they also have yet another store that`s located further south in the city. Not sure if the selection varies between the south and the main stores since we didn`t head quite that far.

And for those who are wondering, yes we are crazy - we bought books in Japanese.

4 comments:

Lance said...

We have actually discussed purchasing a suitcase over here so that we can bring home more books as checked-baggage.

Kim said...

I don't think buying books in Japanese is crazy . . . but I am curious to know if this gigantic bookstore (drool) had books in other languages too . . .

Jenn said...

One entire floor was for `foreign language` books. We were too tired after all the Japanese books to take a look though so I`m not sure how much of it was English or not.

Kim said...

Ahhhh, gotcha. I can't believe you guys are going to be home in a couple of days!! The time has flown by . . . oh, and I'm going down to the states this weekend and won't be around until Saturday night. Just in case you're first thought when you get home is "I must call/see Kim!"